Did you know there are a few species of parrots who live in Italy?
Althought they are really beautiful birds, that’s not a really good news.
All the parrots species in Italy are alien species which are making many troubles to the Italian birds species ad they compete for space and food.
Especially smallest birds species like Eurasian nuthatch (Sitta europaea) who have to fight with the parrots to get the hollow woods where build their nests.
The most common Parrot alien species who lives in Italy are:
- Turquoise-fronted amazon (Amazona aestiva), from South America
- Yellow-crowned amazon (Amazona ochrocephala), from South America
- Monk parakeet (Myiopsitta monachus), From South America
- Alexandrine parakeet (Psittacula eupatria), its original area cover from Aghanistan to Pakistan, India all Indochina. It has been introduced in Europa, China, Middle east is now established also in Italy, it can be spot in Rome at Parco della Caffarella and in Reggio Emilia
- Rose-ringed parakeet (Psittacula krameri manillensis), From South Africa and India. It colonized China, Southern Europe and Middle East. The subspecies found in Italy is the Indian subspecies Psittacula krameri manillensis.
They can be found all over the country including Sardinia.
If liked this article you might want to check what else I published
to help me maintain this website and produce better pictures and contents, click here
Should you be interested in a particular topic, please tell me